Sunday, March 9, 2008

Mercado, un Rodeo, una Roca Blanca, y un Incendio

Yesterday, we got up early in the morning to go to the market because Becky was leaving that afternoon and wanted to do some last-minute shopping. Rebecca and I went with Lori and Becky's host mom and sister. It was a lot of fun checking out the local market for all of the great food and handicrafts etc. One cool thing is that we went to two small stores next to the market to buy café and chocolate. I got some homemade chocolate that is very tasty and very very dark. It's great!

I fell asleep after getting back which was great to rest during the middle of the day. I took a much deserved siesta. That evening, I went with Lori and her host mom and sister to a Mayan wedding that they had heard about that was happening on the beach. It started one hour after they had said (of course) but it was pretty cool to see the beginning of it. The "novios" came in on a boat from the ocean and they were dressed in their wedding clothes which were beautiful. They did some prayers where they prayed to the Houses of the North, East, South, and West.
Suddenly, Marie Carmen decided that we should leave because of the dinner. It's a good thing we did because when we climbed back up from the beach there was a big fire with trucks and everything! It was pretty scary, but I wasn't so scared to not be able to snap some pictures. The brush around Playa Manzanillo is pretty dry, so I wasn't really that surprised that it was on fire. I'm glad that we left when we did though, because it could have been much scarier.

That night, Rebecca and I decided to go to the Rodeo which came to town. We didn't know that the tickets were going to be pretty expensive (well not really but $15 is a lot in Mexico!) but we found out that the rodeo was very long and that there was a concert afterwards by a pretty famous Cumbia band called La Apuesta. We really enjoyed it and I saw my first rodeo in Mexico and the first one that I remember clearly.

The next day we just relaxed around Puerto Escondido, and in the afternoon we went to a place called Roca Blanca that is another beach that is nearby. It was beautiful! Rebecca and I climbed some rocks to be able to get to a deserted beach on the other side which was awesome. Climbing over the rocks was kind of scary thought because I went on the water side which was dumb because the waves kept splashing into me. We just spent time with the family and enjoyed a nice time on the beach. Unfortunately, as soon as the sun began to set, the mosquitoes came out and in about 3 minutes gave me a ton of bites on my ankles :(

No comments: