Wednesday, July 4, 2007

Classes

Well classes are starting. Somewhat sad after all of the fun that we've been having in our adventures and hanging out during orientation week.
We take the classes from Monday through Thursday (w00! Fridays off!) at Wat Damnak (wat = pagoda) in Siem Reap, Cambodia. http://www.watdamnak.org/ It's a really beautiful place with trees and grass. They have a public library for people in the community, but mostly researchers and students use it. Also, the monks there run English classes for young students in the community who come at 6pm.
Anyway, I'm taking two classes: Nation-building after the Khmer Rouge Genocide (3 credits) and Cambodian History and Culture (3 credits). It's my first time taking a large block of liberal arts classes, so this will definitely be a new experience for me! I'm really interested in the topics that we're going to be covering, although the classes are definitely going to be a lot of work. We have a lot of reading to do for them, so I'll probably be spending a lot of time at the Blue Pumpkin (air-conditioned cafe in town). I'm also planning on taking Khmer language class in the morning. I think that it's worth getting up a little bit early for.

Our classroom from the outside

The library

In the classroom Thanks to Sandy for the pictures :D

No comments: